Editing & Coaching
Start Here: Free Consultation
Writing isn’t a one-size-fits all endeavor. Each person and project has unique needs that can be best served in different ways. I offer a free 30-minute phone consultation to discuss your project—where you are, what challenges you’re facing, your goals, budget and schedule. I’ll point you towards the next steps you can take.
All prices listed are USD.
Canadian residents pay at par and may be subject to 5% GST.
You’ve taken your manuscript as far as you can, and now you’re not sure what it needs. Does the structure support the story you’re telling? What are your natural writing strengths, and where could you use different techniques to make it stronger? What should you amp up or add (or conversely, delete or tone down)?
For manuscripts up to 60,000 words (240 pages)
- Free 30-minute discovery call to discuss your goals
- 7-10 pages of feedback
- 60 minute phone call to discuss the manuscript and your next steps
- Email access for a month following our call
Cost: $1500 USD ($250 for each additional 10,000 words)Schedule discovery call
Paid Consultation (60 minutes)
You’ve already had a free consultation, or maybe a manuscript evaluation. Now, you’d like to bounce some ideas, or have me review new pages. Or you’re stuck on one specific issue, or on a particular scene or chapter. You’ll receive a 60-minute consultation, and you can submit up to 20 consecutive pages (5000 words) for discussion. Please note, this does not include edits or written feedback. The initial consultation for new clients is $300 (USD); subsequent consultations, or consultations for existing clients, are $175.
Writing, Story and Creativity Coaching
Hone your voice, discover your strengths, and become a timeless storyteller.
Writing is not a standardized process. Although there are universal skills and techniques, no two stories are alike because no two people are alike. Whether you want to write a memoir about a specific period in your life, bring a groundbreaking concept to life with evocative storytelling, or learn how to use your writing time more effectively, coaching is about you and your goals.
Hiring a nonfiction writing coach is like having a personal trainer for your writing. I can see your strengths, and I can see which muscles would benefit from attention. By strengthening those muscles, you strengthen your overall body (of work). Sometimes I can even see emotional or cognitive patterns that give rise to particular issues, and once you learn to see them, the issues resolve.
A little bit of feedback goes a long way. I can identify issues and patterns that will transform your writing. Every time you learn a new way of approaching a scene, or release an old pattern, you’re learning something that will serve you for as long as you write.
I’m a cheerleader and champion for my clients, and I work with a very limited number at a time, in order to give each one my deepest attention.
This is performance coaching (aka mentoring), not ICF coaching. I work with a number of clients who are leadership coaches. I’m more like a pitching coach in baseball, or a vocal coach. The term “writing coach” is commonly searched, so that’s what I call it for SEO. Beyond writing, I can help you with researching agents, writing queries and synopses and supporting you along your path to publication, whether that’s traditional, self-publishing or hybrid.
Clients who complete three months of coaching receive a discount of 20% on full editing services (developmental or substantive)
Coaching is for you if any of the following are true:
- You have a project you’ve been working on but can’t seem to make progress
- You have an idea for a book but aren’t sure where to begin
- There’s a specific area of your writing you’d like to strengthen
- You want to maximize creative flow while minimizing screen time
- You seek an accountability partner to help keep you on track towards your goals
And if you thrive on:
- Personalized attention and support
- Direct and comprehensive feedback
- Learning by doing
- Working independently, rather than in a group
- Going at your own pace
Find Your Flow Coaching (no page reviews)
Renew your commitment to yourself and your writing with these phone-only coaching sessions. I can help you:
- Jump-start your creativity
- Get the most out of butt-in-chair time
- Maximize creativity while minimizing screen time
- Feel more fulfilled creatively
Coaching without page reviews is also for more advanced writers, if you are:
- Looking for a brainstorming partner
- Beginning to research agents
- One 60-minute call (phone or Zoom) per month
- $275 per month
- Three-month package: $775 (save $50)
- Six-month package: $1500
- Two 60-minute calls (phone or Zoom) per month
- $350 per month
- Three-month package: $950 (save $100)
- Six-month package: $1800
- Four 60-minute calls per month
- $500 per month
- Three-month package: $1300 (save $200)
- Six-month package: $2500
Coaching with page reviews
Custom packages and proposals for more intensive work available on request.
What you’ll receive each month:
- One 60-minute phone call to discuss breakthroughs, challenges and next steps
- A follow-up email that includes reading suggestions, assignments and encouragement
- A comprehensive edit of up to 5,000 words (20 consecutive pages) per month
Cost: $475 USD per month
Six-month package: $2400 (save $75/month)
What you’ll receive each month:
- Two 60-minute phone calls to discuss breakthroughs, challenges and next steps
- A comprehensive edit of up to 10,000 words (40 consecutive pages) per month
- Weekly emails to provide encouragement and support, along with reading recommendations, writing exercises, or ideas to strengthen your writing process
Cost: $875 USD per month
Six-month package: $4,500 (save $125/month)
You have a draft, yet you’re not sure what it needs to become a polished manuscript. In a developmental edit, I’ll help you find which story you’re telling, and guide you towards telling it in the most compelling way. Do your chapters and scenes flow intuitively? Are they structured well? Are there any breaks in continuity, or anything in the narrative that works against your story? If you have multiple narratives or time periods, how effectively are they braided? Are there opportunities to go deeper, to show rather than tell, or to incorporate more dialogue and characterization? What might need to be added, cut, toned down or amped up? What issues—writing or subconscious—might be holding you back? I’ll also look at voice, tone, pacing, syntax and other verbal microexpressions.
I work with only one developmental editing client at a time. My approach with developmental editing goes deeper than the surface rules of structure and storytelling. My process includes both logic (the rules) and intuition (the issues that show up beneath the words). I dive deep into what’s working, and what’s holding you back. I give you the toolkit—and a tailored writing handbook—to get where you want to go.
What you’ll receive: Detailed feedback, both in an Editorial Letter and through extensive Markup; a follow-up call or meeting to discuss my feedback; one month of unlimited email access to clarify any aspect of my feedback; a clear direction for your manuscript, along with guidance for how to make it happen.
I’ll meet with you to answer your questions about my feedback, and you’ll have unlimited email access to me for one month following the edit. If you’d like to continue working with me, you’ll receive a 20% discount off my coaching packages.
This is for you if any of the following are true:
- You have a completed nonfiction manuscript draft
- You want to give your writing the best chance possible
- You aren’t sure which story you’re telling
- You’re not sure how to improve your storytelling
- You want deeper-than-usual editing and an editor’s focused attention
- You seek thorough and honest feedback
Cost: 8 to 10 cents per word (custom quote provided after free consultation)